Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fashion Thoughts

Playing: Boytoy-Starfucker
Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

After the runway shows for Spring/Summer 2012 and Fall/Winter 2012 left me feeling like fashion was boring without Alexander McQueen and John Galliano, Burberry has given me hope that S/S 2013 is going to be fantastic! Their menswear show left me feeling pleasantly surprised and like Christopher Bailey has really stepped up his game. His choice of metallic and silk printed clothing and accessories is taking menswear in a more bold and exotic direction for me. I loved the classic suits punched up with metallic lining plus the casual wear's sheer British-ness. Even the male models were better this season than last. They looked more youthful, boyish, handsome, and upbeat than the last two seasons, where the boys looked all a bit sad eyed. I love how Bailey always thinks through every aspect of his show, especially the music. So many of my favorite musicians, I've discovered thanks to him. Also, I was so glad to see George Craig returned to his rightful seat in the front row because I was a bit disappointed to see One Night Only in the second row of the Womenswear F/W 2012 show, especially when I saw SNSD in the front row. Come on, One Night Onyl models for Burberry, so they derserve to be in the front row more than SNSD, in my opinion. One day, I hope to make it to a Burberry show. That's my life dream and Mr. Bailey, if you're reading this, please invite me and I'll do whatever I can to show my gratitude to you.
Ok, I've been thinking about this one, since I watched Project Runway:All Stars. AUSTIN SCARLETT FOR DIOR. Yes? No? Maybe so? His design aesthetic is so classic with a nod to the past plus so, so glamorous. He once described his clothes as belonging to a dream, which is what I always associated with Dior. All the adjectives I associate with Dior are words I think of, when I think Austin Scarlett. Ethereal, fun, whimsical, classic, expensive, ladylike, and the list goes on. A lot of his clothing I can see walking down Dior's Haute Couture runway as they are and some of them just need a bigger budget, so that he can buy better fabric and then they would be perfect for Dior.  Plus, Austin Scarlett is able to create amazing pieces in short amounts of time, so imagine what he can do when he's given months to work on one collection plus tremendous freedom to do whatever he wants. Plus, he's so lovable with his quirky expressions and over the top diva personality. I really think he's the perfect choice for Dior. As much as I would love to see Galliano back at Dior, I know it's not going to happen, so why not give Dior to a totally new designer and see what happens?
Left to Right: Central Park, Mike Gonzalez, and T by Alexander Wang
I've also been playing around with the idea of a luxurious sweatshirt for casual days. I've found that I can get away with wearing a solid colored tank top in a contrasting color with one of my sweatshirts plus interesting shoes and skinny jeans. Plus, it's a nice look for walking your dog perhaps and for doing quick errands. My suggestions for finding a good sweatshirt that can pass as chic is to find one in a solid color, no tacky details like rhinestones or sequins,  and one with interesting details like a curved hem, ruffly trim, or an overlapping fold in the back. Check out American Apparel, Uphustle, and Urban Outfitters for some nice choices. I especially like these ones from Urban Outfitters: USA, Skull(Very Mondo Guerra!) , and Zombie.
I've also been searching for a way to make summer clothing more fashionable without sweating to death and I think I discovered one. An easy way to make shorts look dressed up is by choosing tailored shorts over denim cutoffs. Although I do like the shredded shorts look, sometimes I just need that extra polish that only pleated shorts can do during the summer. This Chloe pair I got are great because the navy color makes them look like regular shorts from far away, but when you get close, you notice that they're not your typical, run-of-the-mill denim shorts! Goodness, I write way too much. How can I expect you to read all of this? I'll be letting you go now, but I would love to hear your opinions on all of this because I've been thinking about them a lot lately.

8 comments:

  1. Going to a Burberry fashion show must be amazing! It is every girls dream! Bailey is definitely doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blog <3 It's really fantastic <3 may we can follow each other? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute shorts! Definitely a great way to kick it up a notch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love project runway! it is really inspiring :)

    love * Monstros no Armário

    ReplyDelete
  5. we follow you, follow us too if you want :)
    http://wildand3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, tailored shorts can make an outfit really chic esp with the right shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ey!!! thanks for your comment. yesss, but americans swear clothes very well sometines too,hehee
    kisses
    fran

    showroomdegarde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary-I've been in love with Burberry ever since I was very little, so it'd be amazing to get the chance to see the runway show in person! :3

    Antonella Leone-Thanks so much! ♥

    Shop N'Chomp-And a great way to still stay cool, especially with this weird muggy weather we've been having in CA! :D

    Skinny Love-It always amazes me what they can make in so little time. :o

    Asia and Oleszka-Thank you! :)

    Pop Champagne-I know right! Need to expand my wardrobe away from just winter shoes and heels. (:

    garde-Haha, sometimes, but not as much! D:

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say! Please leave a comment! ♥