Saturday, September 15, 2012

Last Day in Spain

Playing: Ready to Go-Panic! at the Disco(Love the costumes in this video! Super pretty and fun to watch!)
Reading: Hollister Models Post Racist Photos from South Korea Store Opening, Get Fired by Valerie Isakova
For breakfast on our last day in Spain, my family and I faced another day of not really caring about where we ate, since we were pretty tired of everything by then. We ended up at a cheap chain called Radilla, where I ordered the Aguja de Ternera. According to my brother's pretty basic Spanish, it's filled with veal and I tasted some red bell peppers. It was only ok, but I was pleasantly surprised by how flaky and buttery the crust was. Radilla served tons of sketchy looking sandwiches, filled with creamy fillings, but everyone there seemed to be enjoying them and my family said they were good.
We spent most of our morning walking around the Almudena Cathedral, which was interesting because it's one of the few cathedrals I've visited that was made fairly recently. Its hallways were filled with artifacts and different religious relics, but the actual church part was the nicest. It wasn't anything special or so outrageous that you just had to visit it. Truthfully, my family and I were running out of places to visit, so we ended up just going to sites that weren't highly recommended by tour books just to fill up our time.
Across from the Reina Sofia, there weren't many places to eat at, so we stopped by a convenience store, bought a few drinks, and asked the guy where we should eat. He was from China, so of course he recommended a Chinese place to us. Restaurant Chino was surprisingly good, considering most of my meals in Spain were pretty mediocre. We ordered Dumplings, Beef with Onions, Singapore Fried Noodles with Curry, Eggplant Stuffed Meat, and Chicken with Black Mushrooms and Bamboo, which were all pretty good. The service was friendly and they spoke alright English, alright Spanish, and fluent Chinese.
After lunch, we went to the Reina Sofia and got in for free because it was Saturday. Out of the three art museums that Madrid is famous for, I thought this one was the weakest. It might've been because it really was the weakest or that I was just tired of visiting so many art museums. I did however like the building. I loved the bold color, sleek lines, and use of glass to break up the redness of it all. It was fascinating to look at from all angles and side.
For dinner, we ate at Restaurante Asador, which is on a street right off Plaza Mayor. I had the Centra de Solomillo de cebon con Foie, which basically means steak with foie gras, I think. The food here was rather good, but overpriced, and the service was friendly too. When you're in Spain, I recommend skipping main dishes and just ordering a bunch of appetizers. The appetizers we got there were the best part, even though they accidentally gave us another guest's food and we dug into it, not knowing it wasn't ours. They served us this really beautiful, glass water bottle and I thought they were going to toss it like we do in the USA, so I stole it. The waiter came after me to explain that they actually have to return the water bottle and I couldn't take it. How terribly awkward...I don't steal things; I promise. I just thought they were going to toss it and I saw so much artistic potential in it.
We ended up at Puerta de Sol, which is supposed to be the center of Spain and the place where all roads start. We pretty much ended up here every single night because the night life was interesting and for me, there were cute boys to stare at. I'm not a creeper nor am I desperate. I just like pretending I'm a model scout. "Oh, he has a nice face, but he's too short." "He would be perfect, if his eyes were brown." Yes, I'm very critical, when it comes to my model scouting. Overall, Spain was nice, but it wasn't the most amazing trip I've had. It's more of a trendy spot aimed at college students for partying and drinking. Even though Madrid is supposed to be more historical, I found Barcelona to be more enjoyable. Would I rank this as a must see place? Probably not, but that's not to say I didn't like Spain. I did like Spain, just not as much as some other places I've been to.

PS My favorite band, Jack's Mannequin, is splitting up and I absolutely need to get tickets for their last concert. However, I don't want to give $400 to scalpers because I want the money I spend on the tickets to go to the Dear Jack Foundation, not some scumbag. 

12 comments:

  1. omgosh so funny i love trying out chinese food in different countries too because i'm always curious what it will taste like!! muhaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack's Mannequin are really good, it's sad to hear they're splitting up. I would really like to visit Spain, and the photos look really nice, and the food looks very tasty too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa-Yup!

    Lisa-Haha, which countries have you tried it in? I've tried it in Mexico, Italy (two different cities), Spain, China, Japan, England, Ireland, and the USA. So far, I think where I live has the best Chinese food. How sad. D:

    Natasha-Jack's Mannequin is my favorite band and has been my favorite band for such a long time that I can't imagine them being gone. ;~;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao!!! Complementi per il tuo blog.. me piace molto e adesso passero sempre..

    Sto passando per invitarti a conoscere mia Page : http://www.facebook.com/couturetrend1 , sempre agiornata con tutto su le moda , make up , decorazione e tante altro..

    Nostro blog : http://couturetrend.blogspot.it/

    Oggi un post speciale scritto tutto de pensiere miei!

    Bacii e una Meravigliosa settimana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear this was not a good post to read on an empty stomach haha. I always end up going to some form of McDonalds in whichever country I go. Tastes the same every time but hey what's not to love about fast food?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are killing me
    softly again with
    foods...
    The 'Singapore Fried
    Noodles with Curry'
    sounds übbernice!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeeh Trend-Grazie?

    Ciindy-I heard the McDonald's in Japan have different things to eat like a shrimp burger and mochi. ^^

    Ice Pandora-Sorry! D: At least it gives you ideas for what to cook?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dear, your lovely photos and great descriptions bring back such vivid memories of Spain, sounds like you had an amazing time there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice photos ! It seems you ad an awesome time there !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caroline-Mhmm. (:

    Sam-Ooh, where did you go in Spain?

    Laureen-Yup!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say! Please leave a comment! ♥